Monday, February 23, 2015

The Problem With Discreet Breastfeeding

So today's post is brought to you by an article I read about discreet breastfeeding, and the fact that this issue has been bugging me for awhile anyway.  The author of the post said, "I am sad for the mother who feels the pressure to hide her breasts whilst feeding her child, for fear of embarrassment." and that made me decide it was time to create this post.

So here's the thing - I'm VERY open about nursing my children and extremely pro-breastfeeding.  I know several people who have struggled with nursing.  I have been blessed with a decent supply and no other complications  and I will nurse my babies as long as I can because it is truly a gift.  I nurse because I am able to and that isn't something to waste.


But I HATE nursing in public and I DON'T like nursing around most people - most people being everyone except probably my mom, Thomas and Merrie.  If I need to, I will always ask if it's okay first.  It makes me feel uncomfortable, but it has nothing to do with being embarrassed about feeding my children.  


There was a cartoon circulating a while ago that showed a breastfeeding mother next to a poster of a girl in a bikini and asking why the girl in the bikini is acceptable and the mother is often condemned.  That one always gets me because I'm not sure either should be okay.  I know that's a controversial thing to say, especially from someone who is so pro-breastfeeding.  But for me, it's a modesty thing.  I don't want anyone who isn't a very close person to me seeing any part of my chest.  It's a crazy hard thing to do, because I'm not tiny - but I try.  That doesn't matter if I'm just dressing for work, or home or nursing.  


I tried covers with Merrie and she HATED them, so we resorted to piling blankets around me or going to secluded areas when we were around people.  I haven't tried covers with Micah yet, but he does seem much more calm than Merrie, so we might have a chance - he doesn't mind blankets over him right now.  But I will still go to a bedroom over nursing in a room full of people.


There are people who can nurse in public and not have anything showing, it is possible.  But I'm not that coordinated and just don't want to be in an awkward position.  NOT because I'm feeding my child, but because I'd be showing more of myself than I am comfortable.  I do nurse in public, but it is as discreet as possible, again NOT because I'm embarrassed to be feeding my child naturally but because I'm embarrassed to be exposing a part of my body pretty much reserved for Thomas and my babies.


Personally, I feel that, instead of normalizing public breastfeeding we need to focus more on getting rid of the racy advertisements and other things that make showing off "perky" breasts okay.  Maybe people should feel uncomfortable around those advertisements too, like they sometimes seem to be around a nursing mother.


That said...when I do nurse in public it is great to hear older women compliment me on nursing my child or ask me how it's going.


I know this isn't a popular opinion among the Pro-Breastfeeding community, but it is how I feel.  I will always be pro-nursing and I will always support anyone who nurses in public.  But for me, it's just not comfortable.


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mama-bean/the-problem-with-discreet-breastfeeding_b_6633558.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000037

No comments:

Post a Comment