When we were contemplating moving and accepting this job, one of the cons for staying was my hesitation at how I would be treated when I came back from maternity leave and needed to pump at work. Arizona's laws are very vague about the rights of a woman, especially in a company with less than 15 employees, which was my old school and my experience pumping there before wasn't exactly positive.
When I had Merrie, I had my pumping schedule all figured out. The SPED teacher let me use her room and her fridge, but I would still need to clean all the parts in the drinking fountain. I was fine with that. For my afternoon time I needed the 6th grade TA to cover my class. This worked for about a month, but controlling kids wasn't really her forte, so I always came back to chaos. Eventually, my boss told me I had to stop pumping during that time because the TA couldn't handle my kids. She also told me that the VP had breastfed all of her kids without pumping during the day, so it was possible. Being a new parent, and because Arizona's laws are so vague, and not knowing how PHYSICALLY painful it would be not to pump, I didn't fight her.
I also had another faculty member verbally bully me about pumping ALL THE TIME. She told me it was about time to stop and that Merrie "didn't need it" once I went back to work. After Merrie turned one, she would often ask if I was still nursing and when I told her yes, her response was always "still?" or "Why don't you stop?" Eventually, my supply dwindled during the day and I stopped pumping completely. Luckily, I was still able to nurse during the evening - which became our bonding time until she totally weaned herself right after she turned 2.
This time around, I told my boss right away I planned to pump after I returned to work, for the rest of the year and into next school year. He not only okayed it, but we've rearranged my schedule so the kids have recess in the middle of the morning instead of right before lunch. My TA takes them out - so even if she couldn't control them in the classroom they're just running around so it's easier.
When she's been unavailable he's covered for my class or like yesterday, another teacher watched them for me. I've only had a couple other teachers notice me cleaning my stuff, but when they have it's been nothing but support. It is a lot of work and it is exhausting - but I know I'm blessed with the ability to feed my kids this way...so I will, until they feel ready to stop. With Merrie, that was at about 26 months. With Micah, we'll see. But at least I know I have the respect to support my son here, I didn't have before.
http://breastfeedinglaw.com/articles/pumping-9-to-5/
:)
ReplyDelete