Saturday, March 14, 2015

Equal Rights Goes Both Ways

Today, on the way to an appointment, Thomas and I were talking about how equal rights often pertains to women's treatment being unfair, but started listing off all the ways men are discriminated against.
For example: women are more likely than men to get custody, single moms are idolized and single dads are rarely mentioned, how stay at home dads are often considered lazy bums but stay at home moms are superheroes.  Then on my feed came an article about the lack of baby changing tables in men's restrooms...and my newest post topic was born.

I'm not sure how to write all of this, so I know it will appear spotty at best.  It seems the more I research the more I find that some things aren't as unequal as they may seem - but in different areas.  I also struggle with the Bible's very real portrayal of the treatment of women and children as greater than that of men.  It is hard to argue with God on this one...but, there are somethings that I feel are common courtesy to men - even when women may be perceived as the favored gender.

I'm all for equal rights, but they need to be equal for everyone.  I also know that there are many places that do in fact have baby changing tables in men's rooms.  Remember in the 60's (no? me either)...okay, remember reading about how in the 60s, when the Civil Rights battle was at it's peak?  One big issue was that the bathroom situations were very different between races.  It's similar now, but has changed from black/white to men/women.  Women often having pretty smelling bathrooms, with chairs and changing tables...men's restrooms are a different story.  I don't know if it's a guy hygiene thing or the fact that women tend to go to the bathroom in packs, but it does seem that the women's bathrooms are generally nicer than men's (or so I've heard).

Some single moms (the ones we always hear about) work their butts off providing for their family, but others are completely absent from their kids' lives.  Some single dads also work their butts off providing for their family, but others (the ones we always hear about) could care less.  I give amazing accolades to anyone who has to raise their child on their own - without any help from the other parent...it's not an easy job even when there are two people working together.

I went to GoFundMe and searched for "single moms" and found 30,880 pages with $12,762 donated to the first 10 pages that were shown.  When I searched for single dad I found 23,984 pages with $9,928 donated to the first 10 pages shown.  I don't know what this shows, because it's not really good research...either women are more likely to ask for handouts? or that people are more likely to give them to women?  Or maybe it equals out if you look at all 54,864 of the pages.

So here's my very scratchy conclusion to this compilation of weird opinions.
Men have favoritism when it comes to work things - like pay, and job benefits.  But are restricted when it comes to kids/home stuff - like staying home, custody, bathrooms...
Women however get treated better when it comes to kids and homeworker stuff.  But are not as fairly treated when it comes to pay.

I still feel women get the better deal - money is the least thing I care about...but it still doesn't seem right that we can't just be judged in the work place  by JUST our abilities and not gender (or race) and all be treated equally when it comes to domestic issues.  I crave the day when this isn't even something that's an issue, it is just the same for all of us.

~End Ramble~

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/10/ashton-kutcher-diaper-changing-tables_n_6838778.html?1426003977&ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000037

No comments:

Post a Comment